Sunday, August 22, 2010

What I’m looking forward to in Android

Cricket finally came out with an Android phone that works on their network last week. It was on pre order and of course I had to buy one. It’s in the mail as I type this and there are a few things that I’m looking forward to in Android. I feel in a good mood so why not share them with all of you.

Google Voice:

Google Voice is a service that Google offers to allow you to have one number for life, that will work with all your phones. It gives you a lot of control over your phone that you normally would not have such as call blocking. There is a good online interface to the service which is kind of necessary if you don’t have an iPhone or an Android phone. The problem I have right now using Google Voice with my Razor is that it’s hard to call using my Google Voice number cause if I want to call out I have to call my voice number and type in the number that I want to call. That’s a pain in the but.

Google Voice on Android asks you when you try to make a call what number you want to use to call out. So if you want to use your voice number you tell it to use that number or if you want to use the number your carrier gave you, you can use that too. You can also set it up so that it doesn’t ask you and it always calls out using your voice number. If you are interested in learning more about Google Voice or making a Google Voice account go here.

Gmail:

Gmail is my primary e-mail service and Android has a mail app and a Gmail app that has the same feel that I’m use to on my desktop. I use the mail app on my iPod Touch right now (running iOS 4.0.2) and its ok it does what I wanted which is to be able to have my e-mail in my pocket. I just think that it’s going to be nice to have a UI that is a little bit more familiar to me. Now I know there is a Gmail optimized for the iPhone if I go to Gmail in safari but that’s not what I wanted, it doesn’t cache the e-mail to the phone so I can view it offline.

Widgets:

There are some apps on iOS that don’t seem like they should be apps they seem like something that should just be sitting on your home screen waiting for you to look at information that it needs to tell you. Apps like weather shouldn’t be apps they should be widgets and Android has widgets. It’s a lot faster to just look at a widget then it is to open an app and wait for it to load.

3G:

For me this is going to be my first Smart Phone on my Razor right now I have mobile internet but it’s really wasted cause unless I really need to look something up I wait till I find WIFI and use my iPod Touch to looks stuff up or send a Tweet. Every day I wish that I could just get 3G on my iPod Touch cause it would make it more useful when I’m out of the house but with this new Android phone I’m getting I’ll have internet were ever I get a signal with Cricket, making things like evernote a little more useful and a real browser so surfing the internet won’t be as bad as it is now.

All your phonez belong to us:

My Phone should be here tomorrow and I just can’t wait I know this phone isn’t the best Android phone on the market but it’s one that I can afford the plane for it. I do feel like these things are what sold me to get this Android phone over the Blackberry that Cricket sells.

 

android_logo

No comments:

Post a Comment