Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Is Google Trying to Pull a Fast One on the Chinese?

Google wrote a blog post the other day on the Official Google Blog called “An Update on China”. They talked about how they have been redirecting users that wish to use google.cn to another Google page Google.com.hk, the Hong Kong version of Google, up to that point. Google.com.hk is not centered and allows Chinese people to still use Google.

From the Article on Google’s blog it seems the Chinese government does not like this at all. Google then went on to talk about how they planned on getting there Internet Content Provider license renewed since there’s expires tomorrow or today since it is the 30th in china right now. Their plan seems simple from what I can see. They made a landing page for google.cn if you click on the search box it takes you right to google.com.hk. Problem solved… right?

Well I don’t for see that being good enough for the Chinese government. I seem to think that this idea will be rejected and google.cn will go dark sadly. Though I will say I ‘am talking out my ass since I have no background in Chinese law. What I feel Google should have done was make a landing page that gives the user a choice and says would like to use google.cn which is censored or would you like to use google.com.hk. I don’t know but that seems to me like a better idea and one that might please the Chinese.

Like I said before I know nothing of chimes law I’m talking out my ass here. If you have a better idea for what Google should do about China leave a comment.

 

google cn

No comments:

Post a Comment